10 Free Android and iOS Apps for Better Business
Do you ever wonder how business carried on before smartphones and tablets? I sure do. Fortunately, these days anybody with an Android or Apple device has access to apps for every conceivable business need, whether it’s booking a last minute flight, signing an important contract, or crafting your next big idea.
With so many fantastic free apps out there, narrowing a list to 10 is quite a challenge. Nevertheless, here I go!
- Evernote – Have a brilliant idea for a new product, but don’t have a pen and paper to scribble it down? Think of Evernote as your digital notebook. The app allows you to store everything from photos to web pages to notes, PDF files, and audio clips. The best part – the app is completely searchable and can be accessed on your desktop, mobile device, or tablet.
- TripIt – Business travel is hectic enough without having to keep hard copies or locate emails with confirmation numbers and reservations. With TripIt, you can forward your travel confirmation emails to email@example.com, and the app instantly creates a single itinerary. Now you can focus less on the minor details and more on the big presentation you’ve been working on for months.
- Docs To Go – If you’re like me, you don’t want to drag your laptop with you everywhere so being able to access your Microsoft Office docs from your mobile device is a must. With Docs To Go, whether you need to look at an Excel spreadsheet or edit a Word document, it’s all easily done. Not only is the app’s functionality top-notch, but knowing you won’t get separated from important time-sensitive documents should provide some peace of mind.
- SignEasy – Despite the fact that we live in a digital age, many critical documents still require a good old-fashioned John Hancock. SignEasy provides a simple and secure way to sign documents remotely with your finger or a stylus. The app eliminates the need for extra trips to the office or the nearest scanner.
- Expensify – This is another great app for business travel - one that keeps you organized and consolidated. Expensify keeps tabs on your mileage and business expenses by scanning receipts with your device’s camera and importing data from your credit or bank card. Let’s be honest: expense reports are a pain. Expensify is your pain reliever.
- Google Drive – Considering all the capabilities of today’s Androids and iPhones for that matter, it makes perfect sense that you’d need somewhere to store all the brilliant work you’re doing—from dynamic sales proposals to crucial office memos. Google Drive provides you storage space and also offers protection from file loss. Even if your device breaks, you’ll be able to recover anything previously uploaded to Google Drive. I think this one is a no-brainer :).
- Google Translate – Let’s face it; most of us aren’t well versed in multiple languages, which can pose a problem when traveling internationally. Google Translate is like having your very own personal translator, except this one comes for free. The app provides accurate translations in over 50 different languages, ranging from English to Spanish, to Haitian Creole.
- HopStop – Traveling on business to an unfamiliar city can be overwhelming. Is the subway faster? Or should I try my luck at hailing a taxi? HopStop takes the anxiety out of traveling by providing real-time detailed transit information such as subway, bus, taxi, walking and biking directions as well as transit maps, nearby stations, and station schedules in over 600 cities throughout the United States, Canada, UK, Ireland, France, and more.
- CamCard – If you’re like most business professionals, odds are you have a stack of business cards sitting on your desk in no apparent order. With CamCard, an app that reads and instantly saves business cards to your smartphone’s contact list, you no longer have to sift through hundreds of cards to find a contact’s name and phone number. With the app, you can sync cards accurately across all devices and easily edit and manage contacts.
- SleepBot – I had to include this sleep cycle app, if only because it sounds like something out of a sci-fi movie. SleepBot has a number of innovative features, but we particularly like the alarm designed to wake you up during your lightest period of sleep, within a 30-minute window. Get a good night’s sleep with SleepBot and show up to work bright-eyed and ready to work!
Despite my best efforts, it’s possible I left something critical off the list. If you notice one of your favorite business apps missing, let me know!
Please share your thoughts in the comments or on Twitter, Google+, or Facebook where we are always listening.